Saturday, August 25, 2012

Maleficent: Scary Good or Just Scary

Angelina Jolie as Maleficent


           Childhood fears never really go away.  Especially the stuff of nightmares.  When I was really young, Sleeping Beauty's evil witch Maleficent appeared as the villain in an especially scary dream.  I woke up right before she killed me.  That's not the kind of thing you handle well as a six year old.  From then on, I'd only watch the scenes in Sleeping Beauty with the fairies and their magical dress and cake battle.  I'd refuse to watch the terrifying witch and would force my sister to fast forward while I shut my eyes in fear.
        I may have to get over my fear by 2014, when Angelina Jolie takes on the role of the horned witch in a live-action version also featuring Elle Fanning and Angelina's own daughter as a younger version of Princess Aurora.  Supposedly created as a  Wicked-like tale, Maleficent tells the story from Maleficent's perspective.  It's been a long time since my nightmare.  I may just be brave enough to see Jolie take on a beautiful and otherworldly role she seems born to play.  If not, I'll just have my sister fast forward to the cake and dresses.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment