Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Covert Affairs


Covert Affairs

         The great thing about a USA show is the lack of commitment it typically requires.  You can watch a random episode in teh middle of the thrid season and still follow the story for the most part.  Then again, this also makes me very non-committal to most USA shows.
         Last night, I caught the new episode of Covert Affairs, a series about Annie Walker (Piper Perabo), a CIA operative in D.C. and her friend and colleague Auggie (Christopher Gorham).  To be honest, I hadn't ever seen a full episode of the show before.  I had passed it over, believing it to be a cheap imitation of the truly stellar spy show Alias starring Jennifer Gardner.  However, I gave the episode a chance (what else was I do to watch during the Summer T.T. drought?)  It turns out Covert Affairs, at least the epeisode, is a very entertaining, fast paced show.  The episode followed Annie as she traveled to Cuba to spy on her fake boyfriend who has developed very real feelings for her.  The question of the night turned out to be how she felt about him.  It made for an emotional and engaging story.  No, Covert Affairs is not Alias.  It lacks J.J. Abram's touch of mythology and characters.  Still, from the episode I saw, I may start watching the show from the beginning, filing it under light and breexy escapism, with a dash of spy fun.  Watch it on USA Tuesdays at ten to relax and be entertained.
   
      
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment